We are looking for a dynamic Hospitalist to join our program at UnityPoint St Luke’s in Sioux City IA.
Requirements: Will accept both Internal Medicine or Family Medicine residents / physicians. We prefer physicians who can pick additional shifts and also perform Tele-Hospitalist after 1 year of experience. We are looking for hard working physicians with collegial personality and excellent Team player skills. We focus on improving efficiency, optimizing practice environment, provider engagement and service excellence.
- 180 bed tertiary care / Level III Trauma center / acute care hospital.
- All Medical sub-specialists available (Cardiology, EP, Interventional cardiology, GI, Hem Oncology, Nephrology, Pulmonary Critical care, Pediatric hospitalists, Dermatology, Rheum etc.)
- All Surgical sub-specialists available (Neurosurgery, Bariatric surgery, General Surgery, Urology, Podiatry, Orthopedics, Hand surgery, Plastics, Ob-Gyn etc. but NO CT surgery).
- Open ICU (18 beds); Hospitalists admit most patients to ICU with Intensivist support.
- No Code pager (ED runs codes)
- No procedures or lines or intubations or vent management required (optional). Anesthesia, Surgery, Intensivists, PICC nurses do procedures.
- EMR – Epic. All providers use the same templates and order sets to reduce the variation of practice.
Schedule and Staffing:
- Day time staffed with total of 4 physicians plus 1 NP. Night time staffed with 2 NPs.
- 12 hr shifts (7a-7p shifts), split new admissions 4 hrs per day (7a-11a, 11a-3p, 3p-7p). Physicians may leave after rounds (must stay In-House during the 4 hr call timings) but are responsible to take phone calls from 7am-7pm.
- No night calls. Nights staffed by 2 in-house NPs from 7p-7a.
- Rounding nurse with each 12 hr shift physician who helps as an assistant putting all orders in EPIC, problem list, admission orders, DC orders, taking all phone calls etc. This is UNIQUE for our program.
- Standard physician schedule week on and off day shifts with very Flexible scheduling. Total of 26 weeks per year is a full time job. No additional time off or CME off. Sometimes providers do a long 3-4 week stretch to get 3-4 weeks off for long vacation.
- Average starting census around 16-18 per day. Winters are busy and summers are light. Additional 5th provider is called on as needed basis when census is high.
- Base pay – 240k salary + 40k quality bonus + wRVU bonus ($25 per each wRVU over 5000) and 401k profit sharing plan (after 1st year).
- 50K signing bonus for 5-year commitment only. Have to repay if left early.
- Typically, hospitalists make around >300k per year for the full-time job (26 weeks) plus optional moonlighting / Tele Shifts of 50-100k.
- Moonlighting opportunities available in nearby hospitals and eligible for Tele-Hospitalist night shifts after 1 year of experience.
- No additional CME but option to maintain a pretax account for any CME expenses to be deducted from paycheck.
- Benefits - include paid malpractice with tail coverage, medical, dental, life insurance, long term disability, short term disability and 401K profit sharing plan.
- All Pay, bonuses and contracts are non-negotiable - all physicians are paid the same to maintain uniformity.
- Will offer J1 / H1b visas as needed. For J1 waiver, we utilize HHS / HRSA waiver (Not Conrad 30).
Sioux City is in a tristate area (IA, NE, SD states) and a little over one hour away from Omaha, NE and Sioux Falls, SD. Sioux City Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) has over 168,000 residents and is expected to continue driving economic growth in the Midwest. The growing local agricultural sector has helped the local economy expanding at or above the national rate, while insulating it from major economic slowdowns. CF Industries recently completed a $2B fertilizer plant, Seaboard Triumph Foods recently opened a $264M pork processing plant, Interstate 29 is expanding from 4 lanes to 6 by 2021, US 20 is expanded to 4 lanes from Chicago to Sioux City by 2021 and Hard Rock Hotel & Casino opened a $140M facility in downtown. For the seventh time in the last decade, Siouxland MSA ranks first in the nation in its population category for economic development in 2017, according to results released by Site Selection magazine. Sioux City was recognized as the top economic development community for populations under 200,000 in 2007, 2008, 2012, 2013,2015 & 2016.